Monday, December 13, 2010

I Am 30 Years Old

I am 30 years old. I can say it (barely).

Over the past few weeks, as my birthday loomed in the future, I "might" have been obsessing about what it means to be "30." And the conclusion I have finally come to is that I have absolutely NO IDEA what it means to be "30." I cannot seem to define this age and this moment in my life. There is so much I love about my life and so much that I do not want to change...but also I feel as though my future is this huge open space in front of me and it is my responsibility to fill it...and (because I'm a perfectionist) to do a fantastic job of filling it. 30 years from now I would love to look back at this day as the day I truly took control of my life and made it what I want it to be!

So I have created a list (me make a list...shocking I know) of things I want to experience during this year that I am "30." My plan is to do these 30 things before December 10, 2011 and (lucky you) blog about them all.

Please to enjoy my list: (in no particular order)

1. Celebrate my 30th Birthday in Vegas!

2. Learn to cook with Tofu.

3. Go somewhere completely new to me.

4. Read 30 books that I have never read before.

5. Try rock climbing.

6. Sew something, on a sewing machine, all by myself.

7. Teach Emma to cross stitch.

8. Spend an entire day at a movie theater, going to movies one after the other all day long.

9. Re-pierce my ears (the 4th time is the charm?)

10. Get my arm pits waxed.

11. Make Beignets.

12. Take a dance class.

13. Go paragliding.

14. Learn to make Grandma Allie's Rolls

15. Figure out (and implement) the best possible skin care regimen for a woman in her "30's."

16. Go real camping, in an actual tent, for at least 2 nights.

17. Write a children's book manuscript.

18. Try Indian food.

19. Live 2 weeks without spending ANY money.

20. Spend an entire day (open to close) at a bookstore.

21. Go on a random road trip.

22. Make, write, and mail a card to 30 people who have influenced my life.

23. Learn to crochet.

24. Be caffeine free for 3 months.

25. Keep a plant alive for 6 months.

26. Do something that absolutely terrifies me.

27. Take an art class.

28. Eliminate 30 items, that I don't actually need, from my life.

29. Learn to make toffee and caramels.

30. Buy myself something with a diamond in it.

I am accepting applications from people who would like to join me for any of these (hopefully) super-awesome experiences.

Stay Tuned..........

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

Uh I would LOVE to buy myself something with a diamond in it, or ten things with diamonds in it. I would LOVE to pierce my ears again(hopefully my mom wont judge me), and dont wax your underarms.....get laser hair removal. I might go camping too if I can stay in an extremely nice motor home :)

Clinton and Michelle said...

This list is awesome. Happy 30th Birthday, and just so you know I think your pretty fabulous especially at 30. I'm all for going paragliding when you decide to go.

Emily said...

Friend you know me I would love to do any of these things with you, just let me know:) And 30 is just a number not a definition of who you are! Because if it was everyone would be DANG excited to turn 30:) Love ya girlie!

Dayna said...

Things I can help you out with....taking a dance class.

Trying Indian Food, we love this place in Provo on Center st. Not to be confused with the one on University....you have to go to the one on Center.

I would say we would love to go camping with you. But I don't know if taking a newborn camping will be a great Idea. But we can supply you with a tent, mattress and sleeping bag if you want :).

I can also provide you with a sewing machine if needed.

I can definitely come participate in the entire day at the movies (as long as it's before April 28th :).

As far as a random road trip...maybe we will end up living in Ohio (yes Craig really wants to go there). I would say that driving to see us would be a random thing to do...cause who goes to Ohio?

Anyway let me know if you would like me to participate in any of these activities with you. :)

Camille said...

I'll go camping with you. You can stay in the tent and I'll be right next to you in a trailer...in case it rains! Also, I would love to spend the day in a bookstore. And I want to go shopping for diamonds!

Tera said...

Count me in...for all of it!

The Ericksons said...

Happy Birthday Dawn! We'd love you have you come camping with us.

Jill Skouson said...

I love that you actually made this list! You are giving me all sorts of ideas for how to be excited about my upcoming 30th birthday! I definitely want to be a part of #s 3,5,8,18,21 but I think I'll skip #'s 13 (since I'm not an adrenaline junky!) and 16 (since I like my warm bed WAY too much). I really love so many of these ideas. I'm so excited for you!

K. Crisler said...

Look, I better be invited on some of these adventures!

McKale said...

Seeing how Alyssa and I have been trying to get you to come camping with us for awhile we're pretty sure we should be there for that one. Besides, we are AWESOME campers :)

Morgan said...

i will help with...

1. Celebrate my 30th Birthday in Vegas!

3. Go somewhere completely new to me.

5. Try rock climbing.

6. Sew something, on a sewing machine, all by myself. (obviously letting you do something all by your self)

10. Get my arm pits waxed. (it would be gross, but i'd definitely help.)

16. Go real camping, in an actual tent, for at least 2 nights.

18. Try Indian food.

19. Live 2 weeks without spending ANY money.(i will act as your agent. you give me 10k and i will ensure your survival for those two weeks--and thus you will spend no money)

21. Go on a random road trip.

22. Make, write, and mail a card to 30 people who have influenced my life. (i am surely number one)

24. Be caffeine free for 3 months. (11yrs and running--not chocolate, just soda, etc.)

28. Eliminate 30 items, that I don't actually need, from my life. (i'll rummage through your junk)


Please let me know when and where you would like said help.