Monday, March 17, 2008

Lucky Lesson Learned

In years past during preschool we have been so lucky to have magical leprechauns leave a "treasure hunt" for us leading to a pot of gold. And not that useless money kind-the good kind.....chocolate gold. However, this last weekend I was somewhat preoccupied (blah-I hate last week) in my thoughts, and failed to, shall we say "cooridinate" just such a visit from the leprechauns. I was undisturbed by this fact (because I had not remembered it) until I heard:

Boy: "Remember last year when there was that pot of chocolate gold?!"
Girl: "That the leprechauns brought for us! And Miss Dawn didn't even do it!"
Boy: "I bet we do that again today!"
Girl: "That is going to be SO fun!"

Miss Dawn's Thoughts: "Oh monkey! I forgot!! I am a terrible teacher!" (just in case you were wondering, I do acutally use monkey as an expletive)

So then there was a frantic scramble to, um what was the word we used....oh that's right, "coordinate" such an event. Without giving away any of the magic we can safely say......everything worked out!! Yay for leprechauns!!

After we carefully divided up the treasure, I was explaining to the class (as I ALWAYS do when we get a treat) that they needed to wait to eat their chocolate until AFTER mom says you can. I suddenly heard some sort of gagging-coughing sound (my first thought was of course throw-up). I jerked around with fear in my eyes, only to be relieved that there was no throw-up. However, one little guy had apparently NOT listened to the instructions because he was eating the chocolate. But not just eating the chocolate--he had bit straight through the "gold" outer layer...and while it was not an intentional lesson....I will take credit for an important lesson learned. Always, ALWAYS, look before you bite!

7 comments:

Brittany said...

AWESOME. The leprechauns visited our house, too, but all they did was dye our dinner a sickly green.

Mandy said...

You are great! Although, I can say I have never heard a gagging-couching sound. It sounds interesting! I

Tera said...

I totally forgot to do something "leprechaunish" at school. So we read about St. Patrick's Day. I am glad I teach 3rd grade and can do that! Way to pull off another great day at preschool Dawn! You're the best teacher ever!

Monique said...

You must have better "preschool leprechauns" that I do. :) They are so nice!

Dawn said...

mandy-you know that pre-puke sound...where they gag and cough and then, well you know the rest.

ali-dot-e said...

Oh Monkey! You are great! It beats trying to get off stupid leprechaun feet off the wall- who's idea is that anyway? Way to go Miss Dawn!

Dawn said...

alisha they finally painted over those! And this year the kids were like, "didn't they come leave footprints?"