Sunday, June 22, 2008

I just forgot!

The other day I was at work at the daycare (where I have worked the last 2 or so years for additional income/insurance coverage in addition to my preschool) and I was a part of the following:

A little girl came to me in tears: "Brad scratched me."
Me: "Brad, please come talk to me." He comes quite reluctantly.
Me: "Did you scratch Missy?" He nods his assent. "Why did you scratch her?"
Brad: "Cindy told me to scratch her."
Me: "Cindy, please come talk to me." She comes very reluctantly.
Me: "Cindy, did you tell Brad to scratch Missy?"
Cindy: "No! I told him to scratch the wall."
Me: "If you told him to scratch the wall, why did he scratch Missy?"
Cindy: "Well.....I just forgot to say 'THE WALL.'"

She obvioulsy thought this clever explanation would take care of any problems.....it did not. It took everything I had not to laugh.

5 comments:

Monique said...

Did she say "Missy" instead? Kids crack me up. I like your tactic, "please talk to me." That's it. I'm using it! :)

Mandy said...

Ooohhh, I love this post! I can see it all right now!!! Great use of substitute names as well. Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

Dawn said...

Mo-Maybe there is some sort of strange translation where "Missy" means "THE WALL." And don't fool yourself into thinking they always listen to me...they just know that at 7:30am I am less likely to be nice than any other time.

Tera said...

I wish I had the patience you have. Luckily I only deal with older kids, and tell them to "go write it in the tattle notebook." They always forget what the problem was.

Dawn said...

that is a really good idea tera!