Tuesday, April 12, 2011

hate. Hate. HATE.

I hate cancer. I seriously HATE cancer. I want to punch it in the face. I want to kick it in the shins. I want to make it cry. And I'm sure I don't feel or understand even the tiniest bit of what it is like to have to face cancer. But I do know that I hate that people that I love have to face it, have to deal with it, and have to accept how it alters their lives forever.


I've been thinking a lot lately about that hatred and what I can do about it. What I want to do is to find a way to somehow help families whose lives have been turned upside-down by cancer. But here's my problem. I'm not a crazy brilliant scientist who can solve cancer. I'm not a multi-billionaire who can give money to the crazy brilliant scientists to help them solve cancer. And I'm certainly not a celebrity who can wear a pretty dress to a party to raise awareness of the need for multi-billionaires to give money to crazy brilliant scientists so that they can solve cancer. I'm just Dawn.


But then I thought...I can plan a party. And sometimes I can make people laugh. Is there a way I can use these two "skills" to make a difference? I'm sure gonna try. But I need your help too.

Join me...


Saturday, May 14, 2011 for the

i HATE cancer

POINT 5k


10:00am

Olympic Park in Lehi Utah

Registration Fee: $5 per person

(additional donations will definitely be accepted!)


Oh wait...does that say a "POINT 5k?" Yes it does. And here is why. Did you know that a 5k is OVER 3 miles!?! Come on. I would never make it. Black out, heart attack and death would surely set in before I ever made it to the finish line. So I thought and thought about how to make my fundraiser more accessible and then it came to me.....a POINT 5k!! (you know .5k). That is approximately 0.311 miles or 1640 feet. That seems much more realistic. I mean, if I (dawn rachelle taylor) can do a POINT 5k then anyone can do a POINT 5k!


So please come! Please Come! PLEASE COME! And bring your family, friends, neighbors, former boyfriends, former girlfriends...EVERYONE! Let's show cancer just how much we all hate it. And more importantly, let's show the families dealing with cancer just how much we LOVE them.

10 comments:

Dayna said...

You should make a facebook event. I'll invite everyone!

Grandma Cheryl said...

very good idea, best one yet. Can I do mine from Denver?

Dawn said...

Cheryl...Jill already promised to have a Colorado location POINT 5k so I'm sure she will be happy to have some company. :)

Mandy said...

Dawn, I love you!! You are great! We will be there!

ali-dot-e said...

Are you actually going to run? I think we were just talking about the running situation on Saturday. I will definitely be there to see this once in a lifetime event! I hate cancer but I love you!

Amy said...

I wish I had good ideas like you. We will be there!

McKale said...

I hackin love you Dawn! And if I can't make it I am going to do it at the same time all by myself. OK? :)

Dawn said...

McKale...you guys should just come up that weekend!!

Sonja said...

Dawn! You are so darling--I love the idea. I love the wristbands, too. I am kind of a facebook loser, so I didn't see this until your mom told me about it Saturday. I don't know what my life will be like that weekend, but I will be there if I can. It looks like Steven may have his surgery that week before, so he probably won't be able to come. Go Dawn!

Dawn said...

Sonja-I figured you guys would be a *little* busy. If you can make it great...if not you can just know that we are all thinking of Steven and your whole family that day! (well every day too...but you know what I mean.) :)