Sunday, October 7, 2007

Vegetarian?

Recently the following conversation could have been overheard taking place between myself and a family member during a sunday dinner when I chose not to eat the meat of choice that was being served.
Family Member: "Why don't you just come out of the vegetarian closet already?"
Me: "I'm not a vegetarian! I just don't really eat meat.....ever.......anymore. But that doesn't make me a vegetarian."

Still I have never really considered myself to be a vegetarian. I think if I ever was to say that I was, my cattle rancher grandpa would probably disinherit me immediately. And that is obviously something I am not interested in. However over the past year I have eaten less and less meat simply because I don't like it. The saddest of all such experiences occured recently while I was in California for a weekend vaca. I was SO excited to eat at In 'n Out-one of my favorite eateries in the world. So late one evening we called 1-800-In 'n Out (I'm not making that up-its real) to get directions to the nearest location and headed out to the glorious building. As we waited in line to order I began to have a pit in my stomach. I hadn't had any type of hamburger in over a year, and I was quickly becoming aware that I would not be able to eat one of the amazing, life altering hamburgers being made behind the counter. I was sure one bite would enduce a vomit session the likes of which might scare small children. So defeated, I ordered only a chocolate shake and fries, which were of course delicious. However as I watched the others deeply enjoy their hamburgers and fries, a small piece of me died-and I will always miss the In 'n Out part of my heart.

But so you ask-"then do you consider yourself to be a vegetarian?" The answer-well sort of-ish. I really don't like the taste or texture, I certainly can't cook it or touch any of it, smell it, walk past the meat section of the grocery store, or watch others eat it without feeling a little sick to my stomach, but I don't think I am ready for that kind of commitment. And if you are wondering the answer is yes-I sure do have commitment issues.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

One of my young women recently told me, "I think I'm practically a vegetarian." "Oh, really?" "Yes, I cant eat any meat with bones in it."