Saturday, January 26, 2008

I 'HEART' Movies

Some may know that I occasionally (every night) have a hard time falling asleep (until 3:00am). Now I could take sleeping pills but the risk of dependency and the weird reports of people "sleep-eating" (like I need to eat any more calories) have turned me off to that possible solution. But never fear, I have found a rather effective "sleep aid" with very few side effects: MOVIES.

All I have to do is watch the same movie a few (100 or 200) times and then I can use it to put me to sleep. The science (not actually science at all) behind this is quite sound; having watched a movie so many times I am able to listen to the movie without being required to watch it (allowing me to close my eyes which I have found to be key in the process of falling asleep). It is so peaceful to let the familiar music and dialouge invade your brain pushing out any annoying thoughts (man I probably sounded so dumb today when I said that dumb thing) and silly worries (do I have clean clothes to wear tomorrow?).

For a little while (maybe 5 years) I have enjoyed the eye-candy, humor, and deep-thought provoking film "Ocean's 11." There was really nothing that worked so well (do I sound like a drug addict?) to accomplish sleep. Unfortunately it recently lost some of it's edge (I think I do sound like a drug addict). So I found myself looking for a new "sleep-movie." That is when I stumbled across the new "Pride and Prejudice." I will admit it took a little work to get this movie to the place where it could be effective, but I have finally achieved the goal! (I like to keep my goals attainable-fear of failure and all)

Now each evening as I lie in my bed I listen to Darcy (who on first look shouldn't really be deemed 'attractive' but is SO attractive) and Lizzie (who I am secretly pretending to be) fall in love again. Oh, I 'heart' movies.

4 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I used to do this same thing in High School. I watched "The Parent Trap" (the old one with Haley Mills) every night to help me fall asleep. Since I don't have a TV in my room now, I'll disclose the stupid thing I do when thoughts are running through my mind and I can't fall asleep. I picture a white wall and try to focus on the fact that it's blank. Isn't that the silliest thing you've ever heard. I must admit it only works 1 out of 10 times, but I have to do SOMETHING!!! I'm really surprised that "Ocean's 11" worked at all for you. I wouldn't be able to close my eyes when all those beautiful people are on the screen! Even if I had watchced it 100 times!

Dawn said...

Kim-are you kidding, that's not stupid at all! I am just too lazy to work that hard on it. And I have the old Parent Trap on DVD if you ever want to borrow it!

Amy said...

I'm probably getting close to watching "Pride and Prejudice" enough times that it could help me fall asleep. But actually, any movie would do that...I don't really have a problem falling asleep...it's staying awake that I can't seem to manage.

Monique said...

Love the "Ocean's" Movies, too! I think that is my favorte genre of movie. Speaking of not being able to sleep, I am sick sick sick and I have been trying to fall asleep since 9...so here I am. I could never fall asleep to movies. Now the Chapmans on the other hand... :)