Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Secrets

This afternoon in preschool this was the snack time conversation:

Little Girl: "You know what?"

Little Boy: "What?"

Little Girl: "When my daddy really has to go to the bathroom he is in there for a really loooong time."

Little Boy: "Yeah, my dad is like that too. When he goes in there he stays there for like fifty-one-hundred hours."

At this point some of the others children chimed in with commentary on their own father's bathroom rituals;

Girl: "When my dad goes in we have to go use the other bathroom, downstairs," her voice full of annoyance at this inconvenience.

Boy: "My dad always takes a book," his voice tinged with confusion

Boy: "My dad is SO slow in the bathroom..." his voice trailed off leaving the unsaid "I don't know why he is so dumb" hanging in the air.

I did consider intervening to change the topic of conversation, I mean they were eating snack for heaven's sake! But it was just too funny to hear them and they didn't seem to care. There is just something about a 4-year-old spilling family "secrets" that makes my day.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

One of the best parts of being a preschool teacher. I still get a little smile on my face when I think of a certain red-headed boy in your preschool class a few years ago that said in the house area "I have to do everything around here!!" cough*Evan*cough

Monique said...

My favorite to this day is when I asked, "What does your family like to do together?" And a little girl said, "My parents like to take showers together." I never told them what she said. :)

Lindsay said...

I am pretty sure that every man on the planet does the same thing! My uncle stays in the bathroom for a long time and his son (since he could go on his own at 4) trys to copy by just sitting in there for 45min. He doesnt do anything but sit, he just wants to be like dad- they are trained young

Hilary said...

Wow, much more intriguing conversation than that at an adults table! Ha ha, I can totally picture Bridger saying the fifty-one-hundred hours thing. He's always saying funny times like that.

ShayLynn said...

Soooo could this be a conversation from my little boy???!!! I can only imagine what little "secrets" are being said about us!?