Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

As a child I remember thinking that my mom was sort of weird. It was strange to me that she would take care of the yuckiest things (like cleaning up throw-up or mopping up after the toilet overflowed or even just scrubbing the toilet on a weekly basis) and wouldn't even complain. I could not understand how she could do those things without throwing up herself or crying (the two things I would do if asked to do any yucky jobs as a 'child'). Of course at some point I realized she actually had very little choice in the matter....if she didn't do it no one would.

I love my mom so much for doing all those yucky things, and everything else (which seem far too numerous to name) and mostly for loving me for me. She is an amazing person who I look up to and want to be like someday when I have my own children. So I work at doing the yucky jobs....I do scrub my toilet weekly (although I admit it is with a long-handled toilet brush and gloves!) I even cleaned up someone's (not my) throw-up not too long ago (with only 20 or so personal-throw-up-close-calls!) However, I do want to make it clear that although I do those things....I will happily let anyone else do them for me!

And today I want to wish my mom a Happy Mother's Day! I know she hates any kind of recognition but she deserves it......and I think there were just enough throw-up references to keep this from being overly sentimental! I love you mom!

5 comments:

Monique said...

Here! Here! I too think your mom is absolutely fabulous. One of my favorites, really. nice tribute, Dawn.

Allie said...

I love Aunt Denise too! And, I DO sometimes cry or throw-up when doing some of those yucky jobs. (oh, and p.s., did you watch american idol the other night when paula performed? I couldn't help but laugh as i thought of us, (you, tera and kim) dancing in our basement to paula... get your hand caught in the slammin door...you get the idea. funny!)

Dawn said...

I call that performance "choreography for the deaf" I don't know if we could have been any more literal in our "dance moves" didn't we point straight up with one finger for "straight up now tell me." Good times!

Holly said...

Your mom has been like a mom to me too. All those times she brought us food when we worked together. Your mom is the best cook. I am trying but I am not as good as she is yet. I don't know if she told you but about a year ago I was visiting a friend at Orem Community who had just had a baby. I was walking down the hall to the room and I heard my mom. I didn't even see her but she saw me. She asked how things we going and I know she really cared. You have a keeper!

Amy said...

She's a great aunt-in-law! Love you, Denise!