Friday, May 1, 2009

DIY?

Recently I decided that it would be a good idea to switch out my regular shower head to one of those ones that is detachable and has all the different settings. Easy right? Totally. I headed out to the local Target and spent 20 minutes trying to make the best choice...it was rough.....but I made it through and headed home with my shiny new shower head.

Then a couple of nights later it was time and I began to attempt my "do it yourself" project. I snooped around and found Tera's tools and then selected what I was fairly certain would be an appropriate shower-head-changing-implement. So I climbed onto the sides of the tub to give myself a better view and little more leverage. I "opened" the wrench and positioned it onto the shower head (which conveniently had these little flat parts which I, correctly, assumed were for the wrench.). Then I tried to turn it. I tried to turn it some more. But I soon discovered that whoever put it together in the first place was obviously some sort of super-human. I was getting no where in trying to loosen this thing....but I kept at it.


That is until I began to have these images of me standing there and breaking off the whole pipe thing, where upon gallons of water would gush from the wall knocking me down, thus causing me to hit my head on the tub and make me loose consciousness and then Tera would come home to a flooded house and me still unconscious in the bathroom. I did not think this sounded like a good idea.


So I immediately stopped and called my dad. I know he is handy and figured maybe he could help reassure me that I wasn't going to break anything or end up in the hospital as well as maybe give me a few pointers on getting this project done. (My friend Jill later asked me how I thought my dad was going to be able to "walk me through being stronger over the phone"....valid point Jill!)

One of the first questions I asked my dad was if I needed to turn off the water for this type of project (I am NOT handy and kept having gushing-water visions so I was beginning to doubt myself). He was quiet for a long time and then asked in that gentle I-must-be-dealing-with-the-dumbest -person-ever-voice "do you mean in the shower?" No! What was I multi-tasking? I was not showering and trying to do a little bathroom update at the same time. I explained that I meant all the water to the whole house (not that I actually would know how to turn that off anyway.)

I then went on to try to describe to my dad that there was some white stuff on the ridge-y part of the pipe-y thing where the shower-head part twisted on. I mistakenly assumed the white stuff was caulk (I do know that is some sort of sealer stuff). At this point my dad gave up and told me he would be over later that night to help me. Now I really did NOT intend on my dad coming to do the job for me, but.......well I didn't exactly cry about letting someone else do it.

And, as it turns out, the white stuff was not caulk but some sort of required tape that I didn't have anyway (but my dad did), and that I am a the weakest person on the planet because it took my dad ten whole minutes to complete the project (white tape stuff and all!) So Thanks Tons! to my dad for his help....and now I am going to look for a bow-flex on e-bay.

1 comment:

Monique said...

This is one reason why renting is GREAT!!!! So next time we want to put in a shower head we will call you up. . . er I mean your dad.