Friday, September 11, 2009

So Big

I think one of my favorite things about preschool is when these little 4 year-olds say something so grownup....

Little Girl: "Um, that's awkward!" (said to her friend as they played)
Miss Dawn: "What is awkward?"
Little Girl: "I don't know."
Miss Dawn: "Well, what does 'awkward' mean?"
Little Girl: "So, when I accidentally punched my friend in the face...that was awkward."
Miss Dawn: "Good to know. By the way...how do you accidentally punch someone in the face?"
Little Girl: No Answer. Turns back to playing.

Little Boy: "That is RIDICULOUS!" (said to a friend at snack time)
Miss Dawn: "What does ridiculous mean?"
Little Boy: "It means what that's what my dad says when you hit your brother."
Miss Dawn: "Well, I guess we probably shouldn't hit our brothers."
Little Boy: "I guess." (very non-committal)

I had just read the class a poem called "I'm Glad I'm Me."

Little Girl: "I mean, I'm glad that I am me....but I would be OK if I was one of those girls who gets out of cars."
Miss Dawn: "What? What girls are you talking about?"
Little Girl: "Oh you know! The ones who get out of the back of those cars."
Miss Dawn: (magical moment of understanding) "Do you mean famous/rich girls who get out of Limos?"
Little Girl: "Yeah! I remember that's what they are called. And those girls always wear pretty clothes."
Miss Dawn: "I must say that I too would be 'OK' if I was one of 'those girls'."

2 comments:

Teisha said...

I love reading the funny things that kids say. Keep em coming! And you are too funny...your "emotional toolbox"!

Monique said...

And it would just be "okay" not GREAT , but okay.