Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Driveway Moment

This post is dedicated to Eric, who I know secretly reads my blog!
Yesterday afternoon while driving home from running errands I caught the beginning of "This American Life" on NPR. I was immediately hooked and I wanted to hear the end of the hour long piece. So I spent the next 50 minutes sitting in my car listening while I snacked on a muffin and diet coke (luckily I had just been to the store!) When the program was over I got out of the car, now behind on my "To Do" schedule, but glad that I had chosen to listen instead of replying to emails.
And for the rest of the day I couldn't stop thinking about Eric, my older brother who introduced me to "This American Life" on his iPod during a road trip. He also taught me what a "driveway moment" is...which is what I did yesterday afternoon. Being in the car with Eric usually means you can count on listening to only NPR for however long it takes to arrive at your destination. This used to make me want to claw my own skin off.....now I only feel that way during the really boring news parts. In fact, these days, I often find myself changing the radio to the NPR preset to see if there is something interesting on.
I definitely don't listen to as much NPR as Eric does....but I might be slowly converting.....a little bit.....thanks to him.

1 comment:

Monique said...

where is that boy?? I'm sure he misses you too! :)