Saturday, May 10, 2008

Research

With all the free time I have had lately (see last post) I have been doing some VERY important research. Otter Pop Research. I have been trying to figure out the exact formula for creating the perfect otter-pop. Now to be clear the perfect otter-pop is not one that is completely frozen. The perfect otter-pop would be better described as a "partially melted-slushy-slightly-liquidy-gushy tube of sugar-joy!" So I have been trying different techniques for getting a solid-frozen otter-pop to that point.

Technique #1: Letting the otter-pop defrost on the counter.
Problems with technique #1: It is difficult to know the exact amount of time that the otter-pop should "rest" on the counter, also one might forget that one had left the otter-pop on the counter resulting in a totally melted otter-pop (gross!) Oh and WAITING-who wants to wait?!

Technique #2: Running hot water over the otter-pop.
Problems with technique #2: Temperature control is far from exact, and the results tend to be more liquidy than slushy-gushy.

These are the only techniques I have tried. If anyone has any other ideas, or perfectionary tips for my current techniques please let me know!

I was going to take a picture of some otter-pops or me eating one to include in this post....but then I realized I had eaten ALL of my otter-pops. I guess it is time to go back to the store.....all in the name of research of course. :-)

7 comments:

Allie said...

The only way to get the perfect otter pop is to stick them in the freezer and WAIT for exactly 34 minutes. I too have done some otter-pop research and have found that this "wait-it-out" technique works to perfection!

Dawn said...

Ok allie-I will try your method...I will let you know how it goes. :-)

Tera said...

I have never researched otter pops, but what about letting is "thaw" slightly, and then pounding it with a hammer! A great way to release some of that pent up stress, and then enjoy a nice slushy otter pop after your hard work!

Dawn said...

Tera-I like that idea! Tomorrow I will go buy a special otter-pop smashing hammer!

Monique said...

Oh! Don't get me started. They have copy cat "otter pops" out here that are like ice. I miss the Slushy Otter Pops that I grew to love out West. Point: Utah! For still having Otter Pops. And yes, there is a HUGE difference between the copy cats. thhhhh!

Mandy said...

Remy has discovered the world of Otter-pops! He has to wear his giraffe gardening gloves to eat his. My best slushy formula otter pop is to give one to Tate and by the time he is done with his one or two bites and leaves it on the table to melt, it is perfect slushiness!

Dawn said...

I will put some in the freezer for you for when you visit!