Thursday, January 15, 2009

HDVRDD (My Disorder)

There are not many of you who know about the disorder I struggle with every single day of my life. I have never been great at sharing the hard things in life, but recently I have thought that perhaps my honesty and openness on the matter might be able to help others who are struggling with the same issues. So I will now say that I do in fact suffer from HDVRDD.

There are many symptoms associated with my disorder, and it seems (quite sadly) that I suffer from nearly all of them. These symptoms include:

*automatically reaching for the television remote every time a commercial comes on no matter what.

*having a strong feeling of anger (or even hatred) when the "viewing live TV" button appears on the television

*deliberately pausing live television just to be able to fast-forward through commercials later.

*a general, and overwhelming, need to record everything that looks even slightly interesting on the program guide.

*a giddy-ness followed by giggling when one realizes that they have actually NOT been viewing live television. Typically because one is excited that they will be able to fast-forward for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

*an avoidance of all non-approved television sets

*feeling a strange sensation in one's "rewinding finger" every time that someone says something like "what did that character, or television personality just say?" or "what strange thing did I just see?"

*random throwing of non-approved remote controls, which can often result in the damage of property or other people.

*language additions that many people do not understand, including "I plan to dvr that!" or "will you please dvr that for me?" or "I dvr-ed it!"

So it is true....I suffer from "Hyperactive DVR Desire Disorder" (also known as HDVRDD). I am organizing a fund-raising event to fight this fast spreading disorder from ruining any more lives...I will keep you posted. Your love and support are greatly appreciated.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, Dawn, you crack me up! At least you're honest and open about it! :-) I'm afraid we would drive you crazy with our non-approved television set.

Mandy said...

Ha ha ha! I too suffer from HDVRDD and didn't even realize it until something happened in the car in front of us while we were driving down the road one day, and I tried to "rewind" it to see if I saw it right.

Allie said...

I love the list of symptoms! You made me laugh out loud... Probably because I suffer from many of them myself!

Karen said...

I think I am one of the few that doesn't have a DVR, but I know that I would have the same issues if I did. :)

Anonymous said...

Dawn (a roonie),
We also do not have DVR (are we living in the dark ages?) It is pretty funny when Trey comes to our house--he wants to watch something particular or re_watch something and when I tell him we can't he asks if our TV is broken "again"!!

Monique said...

Now you are just bragging... Will you DVR the next three years of TV, so we can watch it when we get back. Thanks. thhhhh! :)

ali-dot-e said...

Hi. My name is Alisha and I suffer from HDVRDD. It has been a problem for me for about a year now, and I am not in any hurry to give it up! I have the exact same symptoms as you do...but unlike you, I don't see a problem with it..I have it under control, I am currently writing dish network to give me more than 100 hours of recording time. OH and I delete my kids' and husbands shows to make room for mine...that is not a problem...is it?

Dawn said...

Dear Alisha-
Thank you for sharing your story with us...I know it isn't always easy. The last symptom you described is one that I have yet to suffer from (what with not having kids or a husband or anything) but it is one I will look forward to!! :)

Holly said...

When I first read your post I thought you seriously had something wrong with you and I was worried. Then I read it and couldn't stop laughing. We invested in DVR at the beginning of the school year because otherwise I would stay up too late watching all of "my shows" and when it was time to wake up the next day and go to school I was a grump! Tommy got really sick of it and so now we can watch them even faster adn we can turn it off when it is time for best. I think this is one of the greatest inventions ever made!

Hope said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for putting a name to this terrible disorder!

So are there support groups across the nation yet? Do we have a bumper sticker? Have you applied for a non-profit organization tax permit?