Thursday, November 19, 2009

I sure don't know....

Today I had the following conversation with one of my 4 year-old students:

Little Girl: "Does your husband know when my birthday is?" (maybe just a little ego-centric...)

Me: "I don't have a husband."

Little Girl: "YOU DON'T!!" (thanks for the surprise in your voice...i think?)

Me: "Nope." (wanting to add that most days I'm not even sure I want one....and I'm sure I don't need one...but what good would that really do)

Little Girl: "But WHO is gonna marry YOU?!?" (now I'm definitely insulted)

Me: "That is a really good question, I sure don't know." (I kept the swears out of my response which took a great deal of self-control.)

Just when I feel like a valuable member of society in spite of my single/motherless status, along comes somebody else to remind me that I live in Utah County and therefore am far too old to live such a non-conformist lifestyle.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Enjoy being single while you still can! I love being married BUT, I wasn't single long enough. You still get to pick the dinner and the movie without having to worry about what HE wants. LUCKY :)

Lindsay said...

Uh you should have had some swears in your answer, then that little girl and all the children would know not ask that again!

Anonymous said...

Ummm...Danny sure thinks he's marrying you! Might not be for a few years, but he is kind of cute! And totally worships you! :-)

Monique said...

That is what you are there for. Educate these kids that you can live a wonderful life without grouchy, smelly, insensitive things in your life. Oh, and you can be JUST FINE without kids as well! :)

Oh and I got the "You haven't even TRIED ldssingles.com?" when I was 21. Like it was the last resort and some sort of commandment. ug.

ali-dot-e said...

I think the girl was trying to say, But who would be good enough to marry you. We just haven't found anyone good enough for my Dawn.

Nothing like A four year old to lay it out for ya!