Sunday, November 1, 2009

Swine Flu.

I got it. I got the stupid swine flu. I was not happy. I am beginning to wonder what horrible karmic offense I committed to deserve my un-lucky fate....I can't think of anything bad enough. I came down with my symptoms on Saturday night, I felt sick but not the sickest ever. So I figured I would either have a fairly easy go of it OR I would get worse before I got better. And that is exactly what happened.

For 72 hours I alternated Tylenol and Advil, taking something every 3 hours. Also, being the slightly crazy person that I am, I also religiously took my temperature every hour. (If there had been a paper and pen handy...I definitely would have tracked my hourly temperature readings but alas there was not.) My fever hovered between 100.0 and 101.7 (the highest point) for 3 days straight. Then a day and a half after my initial symptoms, I added nausea and vomiting as well as rattling breath to my list of symptoms. Awesome. I was grateful that Lindsay was nice enough to get me the sprite that I desperately needed to help with my nausea (she left it on my doorstep and then called to tell me it was there!)

I remember lying on the couch and watching the clock for literally an hour and the whole time I was thinking, "man, time is moving really, really slowly." All I really wanted was for someone else to do everything for me but it turns out I am a grown up so I should do it for myself AND no one wanted to be within a 20 feet of me (except Tera who somehow braved living with me and listened to me whine and cry...thanks Tera.)

After a few days my fever finally broke, and at some point after that I stopped obsessively taking my temperature every hour (which I felt was the real turning point for me.) I am now a week past my first symptoms and 3 1/2 days past my fever so I can say with confidence that I am no longer contagious! :) The undeniable proof of my non-contagious-ness is that my mom will actually be in the same room with me and even hug me again! YAY!

I am SO glad that it is over. Oh. I've also put away the thermometer.

10 comments:

Allie said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! It doesn't sound like much fun! :( I'm crossing my fingers that none of us get it, it seems like EVERYONE here in our little city has the swine flu!

Mandy said...

Oh yuck! I am glad you are feeling better! I also got a good laugh about your temperature taking abilities!!! Now you have had it and don't have to worry!

Kira said...

See, if you wouldn't have left us, & still worked for IHC, u would have gotten the vaccine. :)

Katrina said...

You poor thing! That is horrible. I am glad you are feeling better and have put the thermometer away :)

Jill Skouson said...

I felt so sorry for you when you were ailing! I'm glad you're feeling better :)

Tera said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! Sorry I wasn't home to help you as much as I should have been.

Dawn said...

Oh Tera...you had the worst job of listening to me cry! I was SO worried about you getting it and I'm just glad you didn't. :)

Brandon said...

Hooray! You beat the Swine Flu!! So how do you know it was the Swine Flu? Did you get checked that is was REALLY Swine Flu? I am no the fence with vaccinations. ..

Dawn said...

Brandon...I didn't go to the Dr. I called and they basically told me coming to the office would be a waste of time because they weren't testing adults or giving adults Tamiflu. They said, "you've got 3 of the symptoms including a high fever so it is a 98% chance that you have it." I would definitely get the vaccine if I could...it was really yucky. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Monique said...

Muahaha! That was REALLY Monique. Rude huh? My bad. Glad to hear you are on the up and up! NOW I can't wait to see you. ;)