Saturday, November 10, 2007

Food for Thought

This week my preschool had a fieldtrip to Alberstons to learn all about healthy eating and more importantly where the cookies are made. It was a really fun fieldtrip and the kids were awed by all the neat things they saw-live lobster included. However, it was more than a little ironic to me that they started off in the bread section and told the kids all about good bread-brown and bad bread-white, then we promptly headed into the in store bakery where we saw cookies baking and then they gave all the kids a cookie. I think the real lesson learned was, bread=bad and cookie=good.

There were two comments from these adorable children I wanted to share.

Comment #1
Little Girl: "Miss Dawn, look! There is McDonalds!"

Miss Dawn: "Yeah-there it is."

Little Girl: "We don't eat there cause mom says it stinks."

Comment #2
A Different Little Girl: "My brother is allergic to ice-cream."

Miss Dawn: (curious as to her level of understanding) "Hey, what does allergic mean?"

Little Girl: "It means when you smell something you are allergic to you DIE!"

Miss Dawn: "Oh, thanks for explaining."

Authors note: Maybe it would be good if I were "allergic" by this definition to ice-cream.

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I think I learned that lesson early on as well, along with oatmeal for breakfast=bad, left over pie=good!

Mike J said...

I wonder how much butter it takes to make "good" bread "bad."