Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Big City

Saturday: "I was MADE to live in a big city! I LOVE EVERYTHING about this place!"

Wednesday: "I REALLY want to go HOME! I NEED to see my mountains again."

These are the bookends of my super-fun trip to New York City this last week. So here is the whole stroy. I have some great friends-The Boyer Family-that I have known for like 13 years now. My friend and their daughter (Samantha) got married in June and is living with her new hubby in New York City for the summer. So my friend Donna (sam's mom) decided to go visit for 10 days. And joy of joys she invited me along! I obviously couldn't stay as long as Donna but I sure wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to visit New York with a free "hotel." I got there early Saturday morning and left on Wednesday morning. I saw so many things; museums, statue of liberty, world trade center site, brooklyn bridge, empire state building, everything! I was a classic tourist and I loved it!

My favorite part: Seeing the Broadway production of Mary Poppins. It was absolutely magical. I mean Marry Poppins actually flies! And that is only one tiny part of the magic in the show. There is really no other way to describe it than magical. I highly recommend it. It was amazing. (Thanks to Donna)

My least favorite part: Being completely disoriented. Without my mountains surrounding me I honestly had no idea which way was which. Where was north? I don't know! It was very frustrating because I usually have such a great sense of direction and can get almost anywhere. (I know this may seem a strange choice considering such un-fun things like urine smelling subway stations and sticky humidity heat but this is me. :)

Coming home was a bit of a joke and I ended up spending like 7 hours in the Long Beach "Airport." (I use the word airport generously...more like an elementary school satelite trailer with a secruity checkpoint). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I found a little restaurant and I made some great new friends while we were all sitting around for hours and bonding every time they announced our plane would be delayed AGAIN! Thanks for the fun Nicole and Jenny!

It was such a great trip! Here are some of my pics.
This is Donna and Sam only moments before Sam threw up her Garretts carmel and cheese popcorn over the side of the boat! That was a real highlight for me....becasue I didn't throw up. :-)

The city with Central Park smack in the middle (I loved the park, it was so peaceful and beautiful) as seen from "The Top of The Rock" observation area.

Dylan's Candy Bar-quite possibly my favorite store that we went in. Shocked? I didn't think so.

3 comments:

ali-dot-e said...

Looks like you had fun! Welcome back! Oh and they call it CENTRAL Park for a reason...just so you know. Love ya!

Kimberlee said...

I so wish I could have gone with you! It sounds wonderful and I'm taking you with me if I ever have the opportunity to go so that you can take me to the candy bar...that is if you can find your way back to the store!!

Mandy said...

That looks like fun Dawn! I have only been to NYC once and it was such an awesome experience! Everyone has to go once!