Monday, September 8, 2008

Attempted Sneakiness

Recently in preschool:

A handful of little boys had built guns out of duplos, this is expressly against the rules. (I know that it is fun for little boys to play guns but I don't allow them because 1. They ALWAYS cause fights and 2. I HATE guns)

Miss Dawn: "Friends, remember that we don't build or play guns at school. Why don't you build a spaceship or airplane instead?"

Little Boy #1: "Ok Miss Dawn."

Little Boy #2: "Yes Sir!!" (I mostly just shook my head at that)

A few minutes go by....and because they couldn't see me over the shelf they assumed that I could not see or hear them. Silly boys.

Little Boy #2: "Look at my gun!"

Little Boy #1: "Miss Dawn said no guns."

Little Boy #2: "Well, just don't show Miss Dawn." (Insert his eye rolling here)

Little Boy #1: "Oh! Good idea!"

Miss Dawn: "No. Not a good idea. Boys, it is not okay to build guns even if I DON'T see them." I further elaborated on the rule, why we have it, and how if their mom says they can play guns at home that is fine but not here, yada-yada-yada.

I know that negotiation skills are an important part of learning at this age, but sometimes I think they twist negotiation into manipulation and down right sneakiness! I sure do love them though!!

P.S. To any parents reading this you will just have to wonder if it was your little boy or not....I'll never tell. :)

3 comments:

Monique said...

You just need to learn to like TOY guns that don't ever shoot at PEOPLE. . . Watch out. They usually go for the barbies next and secretly use them as guns. :)

Dawn said...

I know they will make a gun out of ANYTHING! I just really don't understand the fascination. :)

Jaime Stephens said...

Dawn this is Savannahs mom jaime, I am glad I found your blog.... Just wanted to say hi your new pre-school is so cute I love it! Savannah is missing seeing you :-) But it looks like your new school is going great we are glad.