Sunday, September 21, 2008

Vegetarian? (again)

A long time ago I posted that I was "leaning toward" vegetarianism. Over time things have only continued on the way they were heading and now I am officially done eating meat. Most often when people learn this about me they just really can't imagine why I would want to do such a thing. Here is a fairly typical conversation:

someone: "You really don't eat meat?"
me: "Nope."
someone: "Like, not ANY meat?"
me: "Um...no."
someone: "What about _____?" (You can fill in this blank with every type of meat you can imagine because we usually go through them all.)
me: "Well seeing how ______ is meat....no, I don't eat that."
someone: "why not?"

I don't mind the questions, I know people are just trying to understand. I do find it amusing though, I must admit. I think that I am more concerned with people understanding my reasons for not eating meat rather than anything else.

While many people choose to be vegetarian for moral reasons (and good for them) I am not in that group. I think my cattle-rancher grandpa might disown me if I told him I believed we shouldn't kill animals for our own purposes. (which by the way I don't really believe. I mostly go with the "moderation" in all things theory). And I really don't want to be disowned by my grandpa!

I don't eat meat for 2 basic reasons; 1. It really makes my stomach turn to think of eating the flesh of another living creature (but I don't care if other people eat it...go right ahead!) 2. It tastes gross to me.

For a long time I have been adverse to be called a vegetarian. I'm not sure why I cared, but I think mostly I just didn't want to be labeled. But now I am feeling more confident in saying: I am a vegetarian.

3 comments:

ali-dot-e said...

You go girl! Own that label! The last paragraph made me thnk of an AA meeting, but you wouldn't really be going to an AA meeting. It would just kinda go like this: "My name is Dawn and I am a Vegetarian." Oh by the way... Fish are friends not food! Love ya!

Monique said...

What about Cafe Rio Pork? Not even in a Grilled Chicken Salad with delicious Tomatillo Ranch dressing? mmmmmm. JK. Hey, and I think it is great you don't eat meat! That means that when I go to eat at the same house as you I can have more meat. rar! :) sho nuf girl!

Mandy said...

Way to go you Vegan! My sister is like you, she really isn't into meat, and for the VERY same reasons you are! And, you will save lots of money. Meat is expensive!

PS...The kids keep asking where you are and when you will be back. Especially Blake ;)