Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Whole New World!

(Please sing the title of this blog the way Aladdin and Jasmin did.)

So in the frozen food section of every grocery store there are about 2 shelves dedicated to vegetarians. While aware of their existence, I had not previously shopped these shelves until recently. I decided I would try ONE thing. So I stood there looking at the green boxes (I'm not sure why but all the boxes seem to be green) for a really long time. But I had a problem:

If I don't like the way meat tastes why would I want to buy a veggie-burger that tastes like meat? I wouldn't.

At this point I was officially grossed out and decided to choose something other than a veggie burger. So I picked up each box and carefully studied the description, ingredient list, and picture until I decided on a box of little breaded things (to this day I do not know what they were supposed to "replace"--chicken nuggets maybe). They were small and round and filled with spinach, artichokes, and mozzarella. And considering I liked all those things I figured they couldn't be TOO bad. And actually they were really yummy. (Now I would love to put a picture of them here, but seeing how I already ate them all and threw away the box I guess I am out of luck.)

The next time I was at the grocery store I decided that since my first experiment had gone so well I would try something else. This time, I firmly told myself, I would choose a box of veggie-burgers. Because, I rationalized with myself, how would I know if I liked them or not if I didn't try them. So once again I stood carefully reading every single letter printed on the box to try to determine if it would taste like meat. I eventually decided on a box that claimed nothing about meat taste or texture (although I have to say I'm confident none of them have accomplished a meat texture with vegetables, come on) and I put it in my cart.
Flash Forward: I still haven't been able to try them...I am a total wimp. And so they sit sad and lonely in my freezer. So this whole post has just been one big lead up to this: an invitation to anyone who would like to come over and help me try veggie-burgers. I know Brock and Uncle Reid will jump at the chance but I have 4 burgers so that leaves 1 more spot.....call me!

4 comments:

Monique said...

Maleia is game since she is apposed to eating anything pig... that magical animal.

Lindsay said...

I don't know why you have to blog an invitation out there for everyone. I'm right down the street and you know I'll do it. We can even cook them on a grill like real hamburgers. :)

~Brent

Dawn said...

I don't actually think you can put them on the grill...but let's do it!

Mandy said...

I have tried these "star" patty of veggies at Costco. They aren't too bad, but I don't know if they were textured weird or anything like that. BUT, I have definately (I can't spell that word!) decided that 90% of food stuff is mental. My sister took a psych class where she learned that food aversions are the strongest aversions around.